Looking for a way to get involved in your community, make an impact, and meet new people? Join the Chicago Youth Centers (CYC) Auxiliary Board, a group of young to mid-career professionals, who are passionate about serving Chicago and empowering Chicago kids.
If you believe that all children should have the opportunity to reach their full potential and you enjoy being part of a collaborative team that rolls up its sleeves to get things done, you could be a great fit for our Auxiliary Board. Please read the following FAQs about the CYC Auxiliary Board to learn more!
+ What does the Auxiliary board do?
• Connects like-minded individuals looking to make a difference through volunteerism and board service
• Raises funds for CYC programming and increases CYC’s visibility in the Chicago community through fundraising events, social activities, volunteer opportunities, and more
• Engages the support and perspective of young professionals from across sectors to make a collective impact for our city’s children and communities
Members participate in a variety of activities including:
• Lively annual fundraising events, including Shake & Stir, the Auxiliary Board's marquee event
• Volunteer opportunities with CYC students
• Networking events like happy hours and sports outings
• Promoting CYC as an ambassador
• Engaging your social networks to support CYC events and campaigns
• Opportunities for connection and mentorship with Chicago business leaders on the CYC Corporate Board
+ What is Shake & Stir?
Shake & Stir is the Auxiliary Board's marquee fundraiser event to support CYC's programs and critical work. This James Bond-themed cocktail party takes place in February each year and is attended by 500-600 young professionals. It features live music, dancing, food and drink, live entertainment (like a magician and epic dancers), a silent auction, and more.
The CYC Auxiliary Board is responsible for selling tickets, securing event sponsorships, finding silent auction items, and making decisions about event logistics in partnership with CYC staff.
It's a great opportunity for AB members to practice a new skill set and take ownership of a project. It's also beyond fun. Check out past event photos here.
+ What are the requirements for membership?
• A two-year term commitment
• $50 annual dues
• $1,000 "give/get" commitment
• Attend one hour monthly meetings in-person or by phone (with the understanding that occasionally things will come up)
• Participation in one Auxiliary Board Committee (Fundraising, Volunteering, or Membership and Engagement)
• Participation in one Shake & Stir event committee
+ What is a "give/get" commitment?
The "give/get" is an Auxiliary Board member's commitment to donating (give) or raising (get) at least $1,000 for CYC. There are many easy and fun ways to meet the give/get: selling Shake & Stir tickets, inviting friends to give during a CYC campaign like Giving Tuesday, hosting a peer-to-peer fundraiser, tapping into your company's matching gifts or encouraging your company to sponsor a CYC fundraiser, and more.
The CYC Auxiliary Board has a dedicated CYC staff liasion who can work with you to meet your give/get commitment if you need ideas or support.
+ How do I learn more about CYC's mission and work?
ready to join?
Thank you for your interest! We welcome interested applicants who are passionate about our mission and able to commit to the membership requirements to submit this short online application. Once you’ve submitted an application, a CYC staff member or AB representative will get back to you within a week.
If you have questions before submitting your application, please contact Shannon Page at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-013-1700, ext. 451.